Aug 14

Workington 2 – 1 Gloucester City

A frantic last five miuntes was not enough for Gloucester to draw it back against Workington.

Marc Richards’ late header gave City a window of hope but Aaron Tyalor’s save from a Darren Mullings strike smashed the chance of a win.

Workington dominated the first half, with Gavin Arnison arriving in the box on three minutes only to see the ball blocked by Richards. Minutes later Jonny Wright jumped for a header only to find Jack Harris get there first.

Returning City keeper Kev Sawyer was called into action on eight minutes, saving a weak shot from Dave Hewson as Workington bossed the midfield.

Ollie Barnes, filling in at left back with Jack Harris moved to left wing, looked a solid presence, passing the ball upfield instead of clearing it out of play.

Arnison had another chance on 14 minutes, his shot along the ground beating Tom Hamblin but not finding a way past Sawyer who easily collected it.

When Gloucester had a break their build up play looked strong, with Webb playing a more attacking role but the end product was not there. The City captain on his 404th appearance had a low shot from the left sneak wide on 22 minutes.

Workington took the lead after Shaun Vipond beat both Neil Mustoe and Richards on 34 minutes, ran into the box and passed to Phil McLuckie, unmarked on the far side of the box, who shot low past Sawyer.

In the final ten minutes of the first half Gloucester looked slightly shell shocked and Workington had a second goal ruled offside a minute later. Sawyer drew gasps from the City fans on 40 minutes, rushing out to the edge of his box to take on Jonny Wright, tackling the Workington striker and clearing the ball into the Workington half.

The home side had a decent shout for a penalty on 41 minutes when Jack Harris collided with Rowntree in the box, but despite furious protests from the sidelines it wasn’t given.

The second half saw new striker Mitchell Bryant on in place of Ryan O’Hara, with Tom Webb moving to wide right and Mullings dropping to midfield. Workington fired full on in the opening stages of the half, testing Sawyer time and time again. On 55 minutes Sawyer rushed off his line to meet Arnison and looked certain to concede before Richards cleared the ball from the line, a minute later Anthony Wright hit the post, followed by Hewson rattling the bar.

Bryant’s half chance on 62, a shot from the edge of the box taken after being played in by Symons was as close as City could get. Symons gave away the ball on 70 minutes and saw Vipond run the length of the pitch to slip a neat pass to McLuckie who saw his shot saved.

Gloucester came close from a corner on 85 minutes, Parrinello’s ball being headed to Mullings by Symons but the half volley was saved by Taylor’s fingertops.

Sawyer stood no chance when Workington sub Matty Tymon lept in front of Tom Hamblin on 86 minutes to make it 2-0 before Richard’s header three minutes later gave Gloucester some late consolation.

Right back Mike Green is available for Tuesday’s home tie against Corby after serving a one match ban as City play their first home league game at their new ‘home’ at the Abbey Business Stadium.

Mom: Darren Mullings

Workington: A Taylor, A Langford, G Rowntree, K May, A White, S Vipond, P McLuckie, D Hewson, J Wright, G Arnison (S Hindmarch 82), A Wright (C Tinnion 72). Subs:, A Main

Gloucester City: K Sawyer, N Mustoe, M Richards, J Harris, T Hamblin, M Rose (T Parrinello 68), R O’Hara (M Bryant 46) T Webb, D Mullings, M Symons, O Barnes (M Tambling 82) . Subs: C Preece, B Lewis

Ref: P Kettlewell

Att: 323

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>