Oct 25

Hellenic One: Lydney Town 2-2 Letcombe

Lydney maintained their unbeaten start in the league on Saturday but or the 3rd time this season they failed to hold onto a 2 goal lead. Town were without Jonny Kear, Dan Gittings and Niall Halford but had new signing from Hartbury Kristian Plumb on the bench.

Lydney were on the attack from the off and created 3 gilt edged chances inside the first 5 minutes.Matt Timmins side footed wide from 6 yards then screwed a header past the post from even closer. Danny Clarke blazed a volley over the top before Adam Price brought a fine save out of Vaux in the visitors goal. The early onslaught continued with Letcombe unable to mount any attacks of their own. Gareth Heywood was the next to try his luck but his great run and shot failed to trouble the keeper.

The barrackades were finaly breached on 25 minutes when a Ricky Elliott corner was headed home with Timmins claiming the last touch in a challenge with a Letcombe defender. Ross Lindsey hammered a shot across the face of goal on the half hour mark before Town went 2-0 up on 36 minutes. James Morse broke up a Letcombe attack and ran half the length of the pitch before playing in Adam Price (pictured below). The in-form striker cooly slotted past Vaux for his sixth league goal of the season.Town went in at half time with only a 2-0 lead to show for all their efforts on goal and also lost Timmins to a groin injury, he was replaced by Kristain Plumb.

img src=”http://sportglos.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/price.jpg” alt=”" title=”price” width=”172″ height=”225″ class=”alignleft size-full wp-image-2047″ />

Inside 30 seconds of the second half Vaux was in action again, saving a Danny Clarke shot with his feet when the front man should have put the result beyond doubt. Letcombe could sense the Lydney frustration and decided to have a real go. It paid dividends five mniutes into the half when Peter Horswell cut inside from the left and bent his shot into the far corner. Boosted by the goal the visitors scored again five minutes later. This time center forward Paul Roberts raced down the left flank and played in Horsewell again. The confident striker controlled and blasted a superb shot into the top corner giving Jones no chance at all.

Lydney were rattled a little but still created chances but Vaux pulled off a couple of excellent saves to keep his team in it. Youngster Luke Brown came on for Price on 70 minutes but it was the visitors who could have snatched the win near the end. Roberts hammered a shot over the bar from twelve yards in the 85th minute, before seeing another effort blocked by Jones in the last attack of the game.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>