Jan 31

AM Print& Copy Floodlit Cup 4th Round: Highmoor Ibis 2 – 2 Shortwood United (3-4 on penalties)

Shortwood took a squad side to Highmoor Ibis on Monday night and came away with a 4-3 win on penalties after the game had finished 2-2. Manager John Evans conceded that “We didn’t play well and were probably a bit lucky to get the draw” before naming Tom King as man of the match. Not only did King save the final penalty to ensure Wood’s win but he also made several other crucial fine saves. Ibis
played some good football on a frosty pitch that got harder as the evening progressed but the evening was marred by a nasty facial injury to Wood striker TJ Bohane in an incident just before half time.

Thankfully, Bohane is not too badly hurt. Highmoor were quick out of the blocks and took the lead after only 2 minutes. A slack pass went straight to Baker who burst through and shot home inside the near post. Small-Forde then faded a shot just wide before Wood got going and came close themselves through Slack. Shortwood applied pressure but Highmoor always looked dangerous when they broke forwards and it took a very lucky goal to put Shortwood back on level terms after 23 minutes. Home keeper Ward came out to kick a back pass away but only got the barest touch to the ball and it bobbled past him into his own net.

Highmoor pressed and deservedly scored a second just after the half hour. Small-Forde rattled the bar with a free kick from 25 yards and Griffin was the first to react slamming the ball home. Hoskins replaced the injured Bohane at half time and Wood searched for an equaliser but it was Small-Forde who came closest to extending the lead. The same player beat King with an effort but Coates
somehow cleared the ball from the line before Shortwood levelled for the second time after 64 minutes.

Cant’s shot across goal was finished by Matt Bennett running in. King came into his own making some fine saves before the end although Hoskins and Slack came close to stealing the win at the death. With the pitch freezing hard the sensible decision to go straight to penalties was made. Cant, Baldwin, Tustain and Coates all scored theirs while Slack’s effort was well saved. Baker missed his and when King saved the final effort from Small-Forde Wood were through.

Team: King, Coates, Bennett, Baldwin, Thomas, Greenhough, Tustain, Cant, Slack, Bohane (Hoskins 45), Davis (Mills 61)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>