Mar 17

FC Halifax Town 0 – 0 Gloucester City

A serious injury to Steve Davies overshadowed Gloucester’s goalless draw with FC Halifax.

Leaving the Shay with a point and a clean sheet and a clean sheet would normally be reason for moderate celebration but instead the Tigers squad spent the evening waiting outside A&E for Davies, who fractured his arm in the second half.

Against an impressive and expensive set of Shaymen, bolstered by the signing of Sean Clancy before the game, City held their own.

Will Morford was looking for a goal from the off, collecting an early ball from Matt Lock which was cleared. Next he linked well with Matt Rose in the box but couldn’t get a shot away.

But the Shaymen were quick to counter attack, Liam Needham crossing in to James Dean only for Dean to head the ball meekly into Lewis Carey’s hands.

Tom Baker and Halifax new boy Ross Hannah both had shots towards goal in the first ten minutes, with Hannah wasting a fine chance on 11 minutes by flicking the ball over the post.

Carey spilled Baker’s shot on 13 minutes but the ever dependable Tom Hamblin was there to clear the ball as City came under pressure once again.

Danny Holland was next to test Carey’s nerve, firing a free kick from 35 yards out just inches wide on 19 minutes.

From Carey’s clearance Morford raced away and managed to miss the target when clean trough on goal.

Minutes later Mike Green, the Tigers’ steady Eddie at right back, nipped in to take the ball off Dean just as he lined up a shot from ten yards out.

Green cleared Scott McManus’ effort, parried by Carey, on 22 minutes before Carey turned Needham’s shot over the bar a minute later.

Despite the sustained pressure Carey stayed calm literally snatching the ball from Dean’s toe on 28 minutes and racing out the box a minute later to clear a dangerous through ball.

The pressure continued after the break, Baker seemingly through on goal conspiring to slip up when the ball in smacked him on the back.

City broke through on 54 minutes but Davies’ run down the wing came to nothing.

On 64 minutes Davies fell awkwardly after a challenge. Obviously hurt the young winger was attended to by medical staff, after lengthy treatment on the pitch he left to hospital with many of the City players looking visibly shocked.

After a 25 minute break, echoing last week’s delay for Jack Harris, play continued and straight away City were feeling the heat.

Clancy, perhaps remembering the wonder header he scored against City when he was at Fleetwood, attempted a long range effort but fires wide.

Halifax won a series of corners but couldn’t take advantage.

City fluffed their own effort as the clock ran down, Mann playing in Morford who failed to connect in front of goal.

Mann beat Simon Eastwood in the dying moments but was judged to have fouled the keeper so had his effort chalked off as City held out for a goalless draw.

Attendance: 1662
FC Halifax Towb: S Eastwood, Ryan Toulson, S McManus, L Needham, L Hogan, D Lowe ©, S Clancy, T Baker (Crooks), J Dean, D Holland(Rainford) ,R Hannah. Subs: P Senior, L Ashworth, S Garner

Gloucester City: L Carey, M Green, J Harris, M Coupe ©, M Rose, T Hamblin, M Lock, D Mullings, T Lewis (Rawlings) W Morford, S Davies (Mann) Subs: G Lloyd

Ref: A Backhouse

Star man: Jack Harris

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>