Apr 09

Gloucester City 0 – 1 Histon

Gloucester’s topsy turvey form continued with defeat at the hands of Histon.

In a hard fought game City lost out to a goal scored against the run of play and battled hard in vain against a lacklustre Stutes side.

City made two changes from the side which extended the away record against Corby to six years, Adam Mann replacing Dave Bird on the left and Theo Lewis in for Will Morford up front.

In an even first half bob sides failed to take chances in front of goal. Daniel Holman fired straight at the Speedy Skips stand a couple of minutes in, lacking composure, before Darren Mullings wasted Lewis’s effort to run the ball into the box with a miskick moments later.

At the back Sam Rawlings once again looked calm under pressure, blocking a shot from Danny Fitzsimmons off the line on seven minutes, after Lewis Carey blocked a curling effort from Daniel Sparkes.

Adam Mann’s shot on 25 minutes, built up from neat passing between Lewis and Darren Edwards, was pushed over the bar by Jorge Stadlemann, before Lewis’s own shot from the resulting corner was saved.

With Matt Coupe’s foot injury forcing an early substitution Gloucester stuck in in increasing poor conditions, the rain causing several players to slip.

Matt Lock’s shot was punched away by Stadelmann on 38 minutes, moments later Edwards couldn’t quite stretch for a Green cross, snatched out the air by the Histon keeper.

On 41 minutes Stadelmann’s goal kick was glanced on by Sparkes and fell at the feet of Holdman who dived between Tom Hamblin and Rose to slot the ball under Carey to give the Stutes the lead.

Rawlings’ decisive block from Gomez just before the break stopped the visitors from making it 2-0.

The second half was again an even affair, the Stutes failing to take advantage of clear chances and City wasteful in possession.

Rawlings made another save off the line on 48 minutes, before Hamblin blocked an effort from Gomez.

Lock had a goal ruled offside on 54 minutes as City tried to get back into it.
It was right back Green who had City’s clearest effort, tackling Gomez before rifling a right footed shot, tipped over the bar by Stadelmann.

Moments later Sparkes had a shot saved as neither team held possession for any length of time. Rose’s measures tackle on Holman stopped another Stutes effort.

As the clock wound down tempers flared from Histon with a few cynical attempts to win free kicks but City kept waves of attacks.

With the seconds winding down Mullings headed a Morford cross over the bar, before hitting another inches wide as the equaliser failed to come.

Gloucester City: L Carey, M Green, S Rawlings, M Coupe (M Rose 29)T Hamblin, T Webb, M Lock, D Mullings, D Edwards, T Lewis (W Morford 54), A Mann (D Bird 69). Subs: N Mustoe, S Wilson

Histon: J Stadelman, Z Mills, D Fitzsimmons, G Roberts, R Clerima, D Livermore, L Taaffe, J Stevenson, D Holman (J Sessions 90+6), P Gomez-Pico (E Libertucci 87), D Sparkes. Subs: H Hawkins, C Day, C Kitscha

Referee: I Parsons (Salisbury)

Att: 320

Star man: Sam Rawlings

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>