Apr 10

Evesham United 2 – 3 Cirencester Town

Cirencester Town, already relegated after Saturday’s defeat at home to Bashley, travelled to Evesham United on Easter Monday, who needed to halt a run of seven games without a win in order to ease their own relegation fears.

Brian Hughes chose an attacking team formation playing with a back three of Jamie Dunn, Jamie Reid and Zak Westlake and the full backs, Aiden Bennett and Ellis Dunton playing out wide in midfield and pushing forward throughout the match. Young Paul Banks started alongside Scott Griffin upfront.

Ciren, who were having much the better of the play, deservedly went ahead on the half hour when Scott Griffin finished off a good move.

Eight minutes later, Ciren doubled their lead when Aiden Bennett scored with a simple header after Jamie Dunn, who had a very commanding game winning all of his headers, headed on a Wayne Turk free kick.

Ciren continued to dominate the game and Scott Griffin was unlucky not to score again when the Evesham keeper, Daniel Platt, tipped a shot onto the crossbar and away to safety.

The first half ended with Ciren still two up and a straight forward victory seemed to be in their grasp. However, Mike Hedges had sustained a hamstring injury and had to be replaced in goal by veteran striker, Jody Bevan, at the start of the second half.

Ciren would have hoped to try to keep the play away from Bevan, but unfortunately Evesham pulled back two soft goals in the first eight minutes of the second half. In between their goals, Evesham’s Neil MacKenzie was red carded for violent conduct.

Fortunately, Ciren managed to “steady the ship” for the rest of the game, totally dominating the rest of the play, and Bevan had very little to do therafter. On sixty minutes they were awarded a free kick just outside the Penalty area. Wayne Turk took the free kick and scored with a low shot which took a slight deflection into the net.

With the game petering out, Jon Else came on for Scott Griffin in injury time and made an immediate impact by winning a penalty after being scythed down just as he was about to shoot. With our regular penalty taker, Scott Griffin off the pitch, Jon himself got up to take the penalty which he struck well towards the right corner of the goal. However, Daniel Platt guessed right and made a very good save to tip the ball around the post.

That was more or less the last kick of the match and Ciren ended up deserved winners.

Attendance: 83

Referee: Les Sinclair
Evesham United:

1. Daniel Platt
2. Jared Wilson
3. Lewis Tasker
4. Wayne Daniel
5. Jamal Clarke
6. Henry Eze
7. Jack Winter
8. Neil MacKenzie
9. Craig Wilding
10. John Griffin
11. Chris Murphy

12. Ben Pugh
14. Roland Agbor
15. Craig Connor
16. Pedram Ardallany
17. Rory Wood
Cirencester Town:

1. Mike Hedges
2. Aiden Bennett
3. Ellis Dunton
4. Jamie Reid
5. Nathan Davies
6. Jamie Dunn
7. Wayne Turk
8. James Mortimer-Jones
9. Zak Westlake
10. Scott Griffin
11. Paul Banks

12. Jody Bevan (on for Mike Hedges – 45 mins)
14. Jon Else (on for Scott Griffin – 92 mins)
15. Josh Russell

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>