Apr 29

Colwyn Bay 4 – 2 Gloucester City

Gloucester City boss Dave Mehew boarded the fans coach to apologise for his team’s performance after a disappointing defeat at the hands of Colwyn Bay.

Two Darren Edwards goals late in the second half couldn’t make up for a woeful first half.

The travelling fans, resplendent in their traditional end of season fancy dress, barely had time to leave the clubhouse before City conceded their first goal.

Rob Hopley was given acres of space and slotted the ball under Chris Humphries with just three minutes played.

Just ten minutes later Neil Mustoe, making a rare start at right back, brought down his man in the box and handed the Seagulls a penalty.

Fraser McLachlan stepped up to the spot and sent Humphries the wrong way to make it 2-0.

City looked like they had already broken up for the summer holiday as they struggled to string passes together. Matt Lock’s shot 20 minutes in was one of the Tigers’ only attempts on goal in the half.

Things went from bad to worse when Gareth Evans bagged a third for the home side, finding it a little bit too easy to penetrate the City defence.

John McKenna made it 4-0 before the break to seal a dire first half.

In the second half City worked hard to find a way back into the game. With Matt Liddiard on for Mustoe and Lock slotting in at right back the Tigers began to keep their shape. Liddiard looked lively, showing the City fans the first bit of promise of the game.

Darren Edwards and birthday boy Will Morford both tested keeper Andy Metcalf as the Tigers looked for goal.

But former Jamaican international Frank Sinclair, like City’s Matt Rose, playing his farewell game, was looking strong at centre half. The Seagulls were also quick on the break, Lock being forced to work hard with a defensive header on 58 minutes.

Edwards grabbed a goal back from the penalty spot with 15 minutes left to play. He scored his 20th of the season on 88 minutes with a typical poachers goal, flicked in after Metcalf fumbled but it was too little too late as City’s third season in the Blue Square North fizzled out.

Colwyn Bay: A Metcalf, L Denson, M Lea, D Meadwcroft, F Sinclair, M Hughes, G Evans (L Davey 86) J McKenna, R Hopley (K Noon 83) J Newby, F McLachlan. Subs: P Ennis, L Benson, C Roberts

Gloucester City: C Humphries, N Mustoe (M Liddiard 46) J Harris, T Webb, T Hamblin (M Coupe 49) M Rose, M Lock, D Mullings, D Edwards, W Morford, G Lloyd. Subs: M Coupe, A Mann, S Wilson, M Liddiard, S Rawlings

Ref: M Parry (Liverpool)


Mom: Matt Rose

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>