Aug 16

Cheltenham Town u18s FC 2-2 Cheltenham Saracens u18s FC

On Monday Evening, in what was their first league game in the Midland
Floodlight league, Cheltenham Saracens travelled to Hereford to play
Cheltenham Town. The game was played on the superb Wellington Town’s FC
Facilities for which the game matched the facilities. With key players
‘Capt’ Scott Gourley & Jack Isher still away on holiday, the onus was
on new signing, defender Jake Ellmore ‘Ex Forest Green & Gloucester
City’ & he certainly didn’t disappoint. His superb organisational
skills along with fellow defenders Mat Sherman and Seb Minchew kept
Saracens in the game early on. Cheltenham Town had the more possession
and started much the brighter but for good keeping by Saracens Andrews
& Ellmore’s defending Cheltenham Town could have been a couple of goals
to the good. Saracens though gradually gained a foothold in the game,
for which Jack Kelly’s 30yd screamer flew just over. Just as this phase
of pressure was being applied by Saracens, they then found themselves 1-
0 down. Cheltenham Town counter attacked, from a broken down Saracens
move, Cheltenham switched the ball over to their right midfield, who
sent across a first time ball into the Saracens area and with three
defenders around him, the Town player stole in and fired in from close
range. Saracens though didn’t let this goal stop their gradual
possession of the game and were dominant for the last 20mins of the
first half. A strong run from Kurtis Burrows down the right hand side
saw him ghost past his marker and crashed his left foot shot into the
body of the Town keeper. Jake Ballinger & Nathan Cross all had good
chances to equalise. Rayhan Meah was particular sharp and bright on the
Saracens left hand side of midfield and his interaction with Seb
Minchew constantly put Town on the back foot. Meah’s excellent cross
fell just short for Jack Kelly who was ready to pounce for the
finishing touch. Bradley Bernard’s first time cross & strong run down
the right hand side, saw a glorious chance go begging.

HT: Town 1-0 Saracens

In the second half Saracens came out with more vigour and soon
equalised. A superb one touch passing move involving Meah, Ellwood &
Burrows, resulted in a first time time by Kelly. The Town keeper,
tipping the shot just over the bar. From the resulting corner a set
piece speciality saw Mat Sherman power a header into the top corner 1-
1. Saracens were now in their element with superb team work, of
possession and quick pass and move. This culminated in them going 2-1
ahead. Jake Ellwood’s strong run resulted in another corner and with
Saracens height advantage they won the resulting attacking header, the
Town keeper did well to save the header, but Jake Ballinger was at hand
to put Saracens ahead from the rebound and continue his fine scoring
run. Saracens so nearly went 3-1 ahead when Kurtis Burrows skipped past
two Town defenders and his strong shot went agonising wide. With
tiredness setting in, due to the high tensity of the game, changes were
made. Jack Kelly still nursing his sore hamstring was replaced by Brad
Simms and Joe Mahon replaced Nathan Cross in midfield. Pascal Hoetz
replaced Ash Hill in midfield. With Town making changing as well, the
shape of both sides took time to adjust and it was Town who settled
early. Town equalised with 10mins to go when Saracens were guilty of
giving possession away on their edge of their own box, from this lost
possession, they conceded a silly free kick. Town scored direct from
the free-kick, much to the frustrations of the Saracens players.

FT: 2-2

M.O.M – Seb Minchew

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>