Jan 10

Cheltenham Saracens u18s 7-1 Pershore Town u18s

Saracens welcomed in 2013 with a
convincing win over a spirited and hard working Pershore Town side, who
included in their squad an England Colleges Midfielder player.

Saracens with very few fixtures played since early November, looked
leggy early on & took time to settle. Pershore enjoying most of the
early pressure without really testing Saracens Keeper James Andrews.
Saracens with a strong contingent of Hartpury students in their side
were missing top scorer Tom Weedon ‘injured playing for Oxford City
County at the weekend’ but did welcome Hartpury College Student
debutant Tom Reed in at the heart of central defence.

Saracens opened
the scoring after 10mins from a three man move involving Tom Cowling,
Kurtis Burrows & Seb Rioux which was despatched in the bottom corner by
Rioux. 1-0

This opening goal should have settled Saracens but despite
a succession of corners & chances notably ‘Capt’ Jake Ellmore, Burrows
and Isher Saracens should have capitalised more with their chances. A
20th min strong run by Kurtis Burrows eventually gave Saracens another
good chance but clear on goal he was brought down in the box winning a
penalty. Burrows then saw his Penalty send the keeper the wrong way but
cannon back off the post.

These missed chances gave Pershore much
vigor for which they put a sustained period of pressure on the Saracens
defence but Somerset County players Tom Cowling & Tom Reed was pulling
all the strings in Defence and midfield and was magnificent ensuring
Saracens went in at Half Time 1-0 to the good.

The second half saw a
much determined Saracens side & it didn’t take them long to score their
second goal on 50mins, a delightful through ball by Jake Ballinger
found the waiting Burrows he side-stepped the goalie but as he was
about to score was taken out in the box for another penalty, this time
Burrows made no mistake despatching the penalty kick into the roof of
the net 2-0.

Saracens coaches Darren Tunnicliff & Sean Bryan then
sensed the Pershore team was tiring and in the 55th min sent on
attackers Brad Bernard & forward Jack Kelly replacing Rioux & Sam
Gorry. These substitutes paid immediate dividends when Kelly scored
with more or less his first touch. Receiving a pass from Seb Minchew
30yds out Kelly let fly with a thunderbolt left foot which dipped,
swerved and flew into the roof of the net 3-0.

Pershore though were
dogged and stubborn and from a corner thought they had scored when an
overhead kick was superbly headed off the line by Saracens defender Ash
Hill. Saracens turned this 60th min chance into an immediate attack
winning a corner, Jake Ballinger heading in after again good work in
the box by Hill. 4-0

Saracens young exciting 16 year old player Aaron
Mason then replaced the faultless Jake Ballinger, who with Jack Isher
in central midfield was magnificent throughout. Mason settled in
quickly and was soon spraying his passes around in his customary
fashion. One particular pass from Mason sent Bernard clear on the right
who fired into the corner for Saracens 5th. 5-0

Saracens pace and
power was superb and 5-0 became 6-0 after 70mins when Mason seized on a
knockdown in the box by Burrows and fired in under the body of the
Pershore Keeper 6-0. Jack Kelly scored his second and Saracens 7th when
he finished clinically from inside the box from a superb Bernard pass.

Pershore got a consolation goal they deserved; a rash challenge by
Isher caught a Pershore player in the box for which the penalty was
despatched into the roof of the net.
FT: 7-1
M.O.M – Tom Reed

Andrews, Minchew, Hill, Elmore ‘Capt’ Reed, Cowling, Isher, Ballinger,
Gorry, Burrows, Rioux
Subs: Bernard, Kelly, Mason

Jan 10

Red Insure Cup: Shortwood Utd 2 – 3 Didcot Town

John Evans mixed his side up and gave some of his squad players 90 minutes at Meadowbank on Tuesday evening in the League Cup tie. Didcot went through after an extremely entertaining game and John Evans commented: “I certainly don’t regret mixing the squad up tonight – a couple of the lads desperately needed a rest! Didcot were the better side overall and deserved their win! Man of the match for me was James Coates”

Wood started the brighter of the two sides but fell behind to a bolt from the blue when Osbourne-Ricketts unleashed a tremendous strike into the top corner from 30 yards after 11 minutes. Haddock should have equalised after 15 minutes when John Cant’s low cross set him up but he fired wide from 8 yards. Wood did level after 22 minutes in controversial fashion. Town keeper Pereira had dealt comfortably with a cross and tossed the ball in the air to kick the ball downfield. Haddock, who was next to him, nodded the ball sideways and side footed the ball into the empty net. After a long discussion between the referee and his assistant the goal was given – much to the consternation of the Didcot outfit.
Gullick and Langworthy then seemed to impede each other as they tried to get on the end of a Cant cross and Shortwood had a real escape when a Williams header was blocked on the line and only desperate defending kept out the rebound. Although Tustain hit a crisp shot narrowly over Didcot looked the better side for the remainder of the half.

Gullick had an early header saved by Pereira after the restart but Didcot regained their ascendency and it was no surprise when they retook the lead after 55 minutes. Osbourne-Ricketts unleashed another drive that crashed against the bar but Williams mopped up the rebound. Tom King made two excellent saves to deny Heapy as Didcot pressed for a third but Wood started to exert some pressure of their own and Langworthy was unfortunate to see his header rebound off the bar. Bevan came on for Langworthy with 11 minutes to go and within seconds raced on to a Gullick flick only to be tripped 20 yards out by Carnell – who was shown an immediate red card. Tustain stepped up and his drive was deflected off the wall and in for Shortwood’s equaliser.
With time ticking away a terrific tackle denied Heapy as he was about to shoot and when the resultant corner came over it was missed by everyone at the near post and hit Rutter on the back of the head and flew past the surprised King for a bizarre own goal.

Team: King, Rutter, Brown (Bennett 74), Benneyworth, Axton, Coates, Langworthy (Bevan 79), Haddock, Tustain, Gullick, Cant

Jan 06

Thame Utd 1 – 2 Slimbridge

An own goal and a hotly disputed penalty secured three more important points for Slimbridge after their visit to Thame United which keeps the Swans firmly in second place in the Hellenic League Premier Division.
Thame, who had previously only lost one home game at the Impressive ASM Stadium, nearly took a second minute lead when Ben Gray’s shot was cleared off the line by Shane Anson following a corner kick.
Five minutes later Swans Keeper Adam Clatworthy had to be quick off his line to deny Gray a second opportunity.
As the Swans settled, the first controversial incident of the afternoon arose when Thame skipper Adam West slipped in the centre circle and was dispossesed of the ball by Liam Harding who seemed to be clear but referee Simon Parbery amazingly awarded a free kick against Harding which upset the Swans bench and let the hosts off the hook.
A right wing cross by Stuart Gates after 18 minutes looked destined for Hardings head but the latter failed to connect, however just 2 minutes later the Swans were in front.
Fred Ward’s free kick into the Thame penalty area was headed on by Marvyn Roberts and then by Tom Speers and as the unfortunate Nick Rhodes stuck his leg out the ball shot off his knee and past the helpless Lee Farrow in the home goal.
Roberts nearly increased their lead two minutes later when his low shot was pushed round the post by Farrow.
Harding had a good shot go just over the bar as slimbridge piled pressure on the home goal and a good move involving Roberts and Harding ended with Speers firing over.
At the other end Connor Hayes and Ben Gray combined well setting up Daniel West who shot just over.
Clatworthy did well in the visitor’s goal to get down low and hold an excellent shot from Nial Hodgkiss.
Slimbridge finished the half well as Jack Rutter’s free kick was chested down by Roberts who’s resulting shot was pushed round the post for a corner kick by Farrow.
Stuart Gate’s corner was headed against the crossbar by Speers as the referee blew the half time whistle.
Thame came out fighting straight from the start of the second period as the Swans defence were put to the sword.
First Ben Connelly’s impressive strike from 18 yards rebounded back from the crossbar and then West’s shot went just over.
Luke Ricketts was next to test the swans as his rasping drive was well held by Clatworthy.
Thame got the reward for all their pressure and equalised when in the 66th minute Ben Gray shot high into the Swans net from 6 yards following a corner kick.
Five minutes later the Swans regained the lead when Gates ran into the penalty area and was adjudged to have been tripped by Matt Willett, referee Parberry pointed to the spot, a decision which was furiously contested by Thame’s player’s and officials but Gate’s kept his cool and got back on his feet to smash the spot kick low past Farrow.
Thame’s frustration started to show as they tried in vain to get back into the game and referee Parbery had to seperate a melee right in front of the Dug-outs after a dust up between Gates and Connelly which resulted in cautions for the pair.
Manager Leon Sterling introduced all 3 subs during the last 25 mins in a bid to bring some fresh legs on the heavy surface, Chris Fower, Dean Barnard,and Alex Parrott replacing Holloway, Roberts and Cole.
As the game went into stoppage time Thame really should have equalised when substitute Matt Johnston was faced with an open goal but he somehow managed to head the ball over the bar.
Three valuable points for the Swans and with two home games coming up against Oxford City Nomads on Saturday and Abingdon Town on Tuesday Evening, manager Sterling will be looking to further cement their place in second spot.

Jan 06

Shortwood United 2 – 3 Sholing

Sholing left Meadowbank on Saturday with all 3 points thanks to a hat trick from Lee Wort. The visitors showed real economy of effort converting three of the four real chances they created while Shortwood created many more chances – especially in a frantic last 15 minutes.

A lot of the Shortwood’s play in the first half was scrappy and their passing was poor but even so they managed to create early chances – Alton Axton missing the best of them when he miss directed a free header. Shortwood took the lead after 26 minutes with a goal of real quality. Tustain crossed and Gullick knocked the ball back to Bohane who found the time and space to control the ball, turn and send a terrific strike past Brown from just outside the area. Bennett then tested Brown with a drive before Sholing levelled after 31 minutes. Wort cut inside and shot low inside King’s post. Sholing then constructed a move from a free kick after 38 minutes and again Wort shot just inside the post. Although Wood enjoyed the majority of the play for the rest of the half they were unable to unduly trouble the visiting keeper.

Wood pressed from the restart and a Bennett cross was just too high for Bohane and then Gullick did well to get on the end of a fierce cross shot from Tustain but could not divert his effort on target. Just after the hour Sholing broke away and Wort completed his hat trick when he had far too much time and space and scored comfortably.
Langworthy was thrown on and took up a position wide and his impact was immediate as he twice provided excellent crosses for Gullick who just failed to get on the end of the first and then forced Brown into a fine save with the second. Gullick then repaid the complement but Langworthy could not force the ball home.
Shortwood enjoyed almost total control in the last 10 minutes but their shooting was wayward. In added time man of the match Pritchett headed home Parrott’s corner to give Wood hope and they came close to pinching an unlikely point as Gullick and then Coates just could not turn the ball home in those frantic last moments.

John Evans said: We left our come back too late! We were 10% off our game today and in this league you will get punished! Mark Pritchett was again our man of the match today!

Team: King, Coates, Axton (Brown 86), Pritchett, Thomas, Baldwin (Benneyworth 75), Tustain, Parrott, Bohane (Langworthy 65), Gullick, Bennett

Jan 06

Tiverton Town 1 – 1 Bishops Cleeve

In a goal less first it was the Villagers who created the better chances. Matt Liddiard saw Chris Wright off his line but the ‘keeper collected the attempted lob from 20 yards at full stretch and it was Liddiard again causing problems when he dis-possessed Alex Faux, as he attempted to clear, and put in low cross into the goal area where Josh Concanen put the ball out for a corner under pressure from Michael Davis. Meanwhile Andy Taylor was given a good opportunity when David Steele found him free on the edge of the penalty area, but his shot went well over the cross bar.

The Villagers were denied a penalty in the opening minutes of second half when Michael Jackson threaded the ball for Saul Williams to run on to, as the winger bore down on Wright, Searle pulled him back. Tivvy took the lead in the 53rd minute; a route one free kick by Wright was run onto by substitute Jules Emati-Emati who thundered in a right foot volley from the corner of the penalty area. Cleeve were level 5 minutes later; a Michael Davis free kick was blocked but fell to Williams who’s right foot shot gave Wright no chance. Emati-Emati got onto the end of another long free kick but his header was collected easily by James Nortei. As the game neared the end the Villagers pushed for the winner, and a lively Jon Crowford cut in from the right, past 2 defenders only for his shot to be saved by Wright at the foot of the post.

Cleeve; Nortei, Crowford, Hoyle, L. Davis, Avery, Rose, Williams (Sykes 82), Jackson, Lee, Liddiard, M, Davis (Midwinter 72)

Subs not used; Tambling, Ackland

Dec 27

Worcester City 0 – 1 Gloucester City

Superb saves from Mike Green and a first half goal from Danny Andrew helped Gloucester to an import win over local rivals Worcester.

In the last Boxing Day fixture at St George’s Lane Worcester were keen to make an impact from the start, with Greg Mills’ early attempt to chip Mike Green beating the keeper but landing the wrong side of the post.

Gloucester were forced into an early change with Chris Holland pulling up injured with just five minutes played, making way for Matt Liddiard.

It was the visitors who had the first shot on target, 18 minutes in, when Adam Mann collected a slick pass from Jordan Goddard, forcing Matt Sargeant to tip the ball wide.

Goddard, heading up a midfield missing two key players in Tom Webb and Lewis Hogg, looked calm and assured.

Sargeant’s opposite number Green made an equally important save moments later, stopping Mills from heading a cross from his former Bristol Rovers teammate Charlie Reece into the net.

Green was back in action just three minutes later blocking low shot from Kyle Patterson. Sam Rawlings, taking the place of Green’s namesake at right back enjoyed a busy first half, stopping another shot from the rampant Mills on the half hour mark.

Green blocked a further shot from Mills, leaving Jack Harris to stop the follow up from Reece on 33 minutes.

It was Tyler Weir, who turned down a move to Gloucester in favour of Worcester who gave away a free kick on 36 minutes, bringing down Adam Mann on the edge of the box. Danny Andrew stepped up to take the kick, beat the wall and sent Sargeant the wrong way to put Gloucester ahead.

Green was busy again before the half was out, blocking from Mills once more.

The second half saw more cavalier defending from Gloucester as they were pressed hard but the visitors’ work rate never faltered, with Adam Mann and Bagasan Graham running riot down the flanks.

Edwards’ deft touch kept the ball in play on 64 minutes but his cross was an inch too far for Morford to connect as the Tigers looked for a second.

Steve Davies injected pace, coming on for Graham with 20 minutes left to play but as the game entered its final phase it was Green who was once again under pressure.

But the young Bristolian soaked up the shots and the second half downpour with aplomb, sealing an important three points for his side.

A late free kick for Worcester was wasted as City ran out deserved winners.

Worcester City: M Sargeant, T Weir (M Taylor 76) E Deeney, T Thorley, J Rowe, G Hutchinson, C Reece (A Sammons 72) M Breeze, M Symons, K Patterson (D Glover 63) G Mills. Subs: S Whitehead,, G Thompson

Gloucester City: M Green, S Rawlings, D Andrew, T Hamblin, C Holland (M Liddiard 5) J Harris, B Graham (S Davies 70) J Goddard, D Edwards, A Mann. Subs: J Parker, N Mustoe, M Green

Att: 1290

Ref: R Ellis

Star man: Mike Green (gk)

Dec 27

Cheltenham Saracens. 2 -3 Slimbridge

Manager Leon Sterling asked his side for an improved performance as the Swans returned to action after their disappointing draw with Reading Town on December 8th, and would have been delighted with the response from his team, as they weathered difficult conditions and a highly motivated Cheltenham Saracens side to gain three precious points and move back to second in the Uhlsport Hellenic Premier League.

After falling behind to a Jamie Hammond opener for the home side, two Dan Holloway strikes put the Swans in the driving seat. Despite Saracens coming back again to level the scores, Captain Marvyn Roberts netted the decider to win the game for the visitors.

Swans Goalkeeper Adam Clatworthy, signed from Fairford Town to replace the departed Dave Evans, was called into action early, when after four minutes, Hammond’s cross nearly drifted under his crossbar, but he was up to the task, and clawed the ball away for a corner. Clatworthy went on to make a very assured debut for his new side.

Saracens made the better start, and with Slimbridge playing against a very strong wind, it was a difficult start for the visitors, not helped by a fussy performance from Referee Nigel Fisher, which stopped the game from being able to flow for either side.

The first period of the game was very scrappy, with the wind and rain. combined with a very heavy pitch, making it very difficult for either side to settle and play any decent football.

However, two goals in quick succession appeared out of nowhere as the game reached the quarter hour mark – Sarries took the lead on 15 minutes, when Jamie Hammond converted a wicked corner which skimmed across the Slimbridge box, and then three minutes later, Dan Holloway’s sweet turn saw him though on goal and he drilled the ball past Sarries’ Keeper Ryan Betteridge with 18 minutes gone to level things up.

Chances continued to come for both sides as the rain pelted down, with Clatworthy making a good save from Ethan Moore as the home side pressed. At the other end, Liam Harding brought a fine stop from Betteridge after a Roberts flick put him though on goal, but Harding couldn’t convert the follow up, and the chance was lost.

After 29 minutes a dangerous looking late tackle on Niall Hallford by Josh Swales saw the Sarries man lucky to escape with just a yellow card, even allowing for the conditions on the pitch. Hallford was forced off with a a very nasty looking ankle injury after lengthy treatment and replaced by Alex Parrott, who moved into midfield. The reshuffle saw Sean Bennett drop into the back four, where he contributed a massive performance for the rest of the game.

Sarries had a good chance to regain the lead on the half hour, when Leigh Rayson and Swales combined well, but a great tackle from Bennett closed the move down successfully.

There were two further opportunities for both sides before the break, with Roberts failing to take advantage of a good position with Liam Harding waiting in the Sarries’ box on 39 minutes, and a superb Tom Speers tackle breaking down a dangerous run and cross from Ethan Moore for the home side leaving the scores level at the half.

Slimbridge started the second period at a far better tempo than they had the first, and nearly regained the lead a minute into the half – Harding shot drifting wide after Holloway’s initial effort had been blocked.

The game was still very much end-to-end, and Clatworthy had to be alert to clear an underhit back pass from Holloway, with Moore chasing down his clearance.

As Clatworthy got further into his debut, he was increasingly called into action, and responded well to the situation – he made a good save on 50 minutes after another break for the home side, this time from Jordan Bryan.

On 54 minutes, Slimbridge regained the lead – a lovely ball from Shane Anson was flicked on by Parrott and Holloway beat his marker for speed, planting the ball firmly past Betteridge in a lovely piece of play from the visitors.

Holloway nearly completed his hat trick a minute later, when his header from Parrott’s free kick was just too high, but Sarries broke back, and two minutes later were back on level terms.

A cross from the left was flicked on by Sarries’ Skipper Mike Rhodes, and Carl Griffiths stopped to head the ball past Clatworthy to make the score 2-2.

However, it only took another seven minutes for Slimbridge to go back in front. With 63 minutes on the clock, Holloway tried his luck from long range, and Betteridge made the save, but couldn’t hang onto the ball in the wet conditions. Marv Roberts was on hand following up to nick the ball away from the Keeper, and put the visitors ahead again.

Sarries responded again, and went close two minutes later, when Griffiths shot wide after a goalmouth scramble following a Swales Free Kick.

Roberts nearly notched his second when his shot-cum-cross forced Betteridge to push the ball behind for a corner, which was eventually cleared.

As the game entered the last ten minutes and conditions worsened again, both sides had opportunities for further goals – Harding was just wide when he clipped the ball over Betteridge after being played in by Dean Barnard. while superb defending by Shane Anson saw off Mike Oliver with the game deep into stoppage time after two lovely saves from Clatworthy, but the Swans hung on to record a hard earned, but very well deserved victory.

Slimbridge travel to Thame on January 5th for their next fixture (3.00), before returning to Wisloe Road for their much delayed GFA Challenge Trophy tie against Hallen on Tuesday January 8th (7.45pm)

Team: Clatworthy, Rutter, Anson, Hallford (Parrott 29), Speers, Bennett, Harding, Ward, Roberts, Cole (Barnard 71), Holloway

Goals: Holloway 18, 54 Roberts 63

Supporters Man Of The Match; Shane Anson

Dec 16

Winchester City 1 – 2 Shortwood United

“One goal difference made it harder than it might have been but the pitch was hard – sometimes you have to grind out a result and I am delighted with the 3 points!” This was John Evans comment after Shortwood’s 2-1 win at Winchester on Saturday which took Shortwood to 5 wins in a row. The returning TJ Bohane and Ross Langworthy were men of the match. In truth this was a complete team performance and apart from the sloppy goal they conceded were dominant for long periods and the scoreline could easily have been a victory by four or five! As Evans said with only a one goal advantage there was always a risk but City rarely threatened and the defence coped well.

Sako hit an early shot which King saved comfortably but Wood attacked in confident mood and scored after 7 minutes. Bohane put Tustain away down the left and his low cross was swept home by Gullick. Gullick then put Bohane clear but he dallied too long and was dispossessed. Winchester came back into the game and levelled after 19 minutes. A low cross caused confusion and although King saved a first shot and Coates a second Smith fired the third effort home. The next period was scrappy but Shortwood took the lead after 36 minutes with a strange goal. Parrott’s corner found Thomas on the far side of the area and his cross back in was too high for Coates to get a meaningful header, the ball going straight up in the air. With the City defence playing statues Langworthy was the first to react and head the ball home as it dropped. Shortwood could have scored again before the break as Gullick and Langworthy both came close.

Shortwood dominated the second half. City keeper Webb did well to keep out a Bohane shot with his legs, Tustain fired an effort inches wide after a good run and Parrott fired in a low cross which beat everyone when only a touch was needed. In spite of the pitch some of Shortwood’s one touch play was excellent as they poured forward with confidence. Winchester were hemmed back for long periods but a third goal just would not come and Webb kept his side in the game with saves from Bohane, Langworthy and Gullick.
When Winchester did try and break free Ash Thomas and his colleagues dealt comfortably with any threat and Shortwood finished as they spent most of the half – in control!

Team: King, Coates, Axton, Pritchett, Thomas, Baldwin, Tustain (Martin 86), Parrott, Gullick, Bohane, Langworthy (Brown 83):

Dec 16

Swindon Supermarine 2​ – 0 Bishops Cleeve

The Villagers were unlucky not to come away with a draw, due to two poor decisions by the match officials.

Both teams were struggling to get a grip of the game on a very heavy surface, but in the 15th minute the ball stuck in the mud just inside the Cleeve penalty area, Ashley Edenborough swung a foot at it, missed it completely and fell to the floor. To everyone’s amazement the Referee awarded a penalty. Josh Parsons sent Jimmy Nortei the wrong way. Cleeve’s response came minutes later when Michael Tambling broke down the right his cross found Jake Lee whose header bounced off the top of the cross bar with the Marine ‘keeper well beaten. The Villagers were put under pressure again by a refereeing decision, with two players in off-side positions the Assistant raised his flag and Sam Avery, oblivious to this, got across to intercept the pass, the Referee awarded a corner.

Chances were few and far between, Sam Morris crossed to Dan Hilder 25 yards out and his first time shot was blocked by Lee Davis. For the Villagers Will Gayton put in a deep cross which was put out for corner by Dave Bampton with Matt Liddiard closing in, Michael Jackson had shot from 18 yards pushed round the post by Kent Kauppinen and the resulting corner bounced off Michael Tambling’s toe straight into the arms of a grateful Kauppinen. Will Gayton also had Kauppinen scrambling across his goal to push a 20 yard shot round the post. Marine doubled their lead when a hopeful punt forward by Chris Taylor found Ashley Edenborough the wrong side of Sam Avery and Matt Rose; with the Assistant Referee not reacting he ran on and put the ball past the advancing Jimmy Nortei. In the closing minutes Michael Tambling tried to chip the ball over Kauppinen but the ‘keeper collected the ball at full stretch.

Cleeve; Nortei, Crowford, Hoyle, L. Davis, Avery, Rose, Tambling, Jackson, Lee, Liddiard (Sykes 86), M. Davis (Gayton 39)

Subs Not used; Jones, Ackland

Cleeve are at home on Wednesday to Abingdon United and on Saturday to North Leigh.

Dec 16

Vauxhall Motors 1 – 2 Gloucester City

A stoppage time winner from Darren Edwards gave Gloucester City a crucial three points against a resilient Vauxhall Motors outfit.
The Rivacre Park side had taken the lead through an Ashley Stott strike before the break, but a revitalised Tigers struck back with a Ricky Villa-esqe goal from new loan signing Bagasan Graham.
With the final whistle looming, the ball found Edwards in the area who slotted home from close range to seal a vital win.
On a chilly day on the Wirral, City had the brighter opening with two quick-fire Jordan Goddard shots well managed by Vauxhall’s keeper Zac Jones.
However, the Motormen stepped up the gears and started to attack with menace and were almost rewarded but a curling shot from Dan Fearnehough creeped over the bar.
On the half hour, they came close once more, but Craig Mahon couldn’t curl the ball in at the far post.
After many warnings, Vauxhall then took the lead after a simple pass from Fearnehough bewildered the City backline and sent Ashley Stott through on goal and slotted home for the lead.
The Tigers came out swinging for the second half and were duly rewarded after a mesmerising run from new Cheltenham Town loan signing Graham stunned the Vauxhall defence to equalise for David Mehew’s men.
The ever dangerous Danny Andrews, another shrewd loan signing from the Robins, proved a handful for the Vauxhall defence and set up chances for Bagasan, Morford and Edwards during an industrious second half.
The Tigers almost took the lead midway through the half after a bad mistake from Vauxhall captain Tom Hannigan put Edwards in on goal, but the striker couldn’t capitalise.
The Motormen were dangerous at times, and City were close to being made to pay after a fumble from goalkeeper Mike Green saw Louis Barnes almost beat him at his near post, but Green was more than a match for it.
With the home side seemingly content for a draw, City kept on pushing and were unlucky that a Matt Coupe cross didn’t deflect near the Vauxhall goal.
Then, with the final whistle drawing close, City had one more throw of the dice and a Will Morford pass found Edwards in the box who headed over the defender, brought the ball down, and shot home for a brilliant winner to send the City players and supporters into delirium.
Vauxhall Motors: Z. Jones, S. Wainwright, L. Barnes, T. Hannigan, A. Nicholas, D. Fearnehough, C. Mahon, C. Noone, T. Rutter, A. Stott, D. Thompson
Subs: M. Burns, L. Moss, L. Clowes, K. Clair, G. Martindale
Goals: Stott 38
Gloucester City: M. Green, S. Rawlings, D. Andrews, M. Coupe, C. Holland, T. Webb, B. Graham, J. Goddard, D. Edwards, W. Morford, A. Mann
Subs: J. Harris, J. Parker, N. Mustoe, M. Green, T. Hamblin
Goals: Graham 48, Edwards 90+2

Older posts «